Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Keep your opinion (and your religion) to yourself

Thank you very much

Yes, I've been taking the train to work for 2 weeks now. I think I might actually be getting back into shape. It's kind of nice to take the train in DC because you can grab a free newspaper. One of the great things I remember about taking the train in NY were the occasional handouts. Maybe there was a new chewing gum or breath mint on the market or possibly coupons for a new restaraunt. Any New Yorker can assess what the handout is and decide whether they want it or not without breaking their stride.

So (yeah, here it comes) there I am, coming out of the train station, listening to my iPod (Thanks Fox!) and trying to figure out what I'm writing in my blog this morning. At the top of the escalator are 2 early-twentyish people with handouts...pamphlets. I quickly scan the cover as I step off the escalator: somethin sumthin sunthin..."Soldiers of Satan." I didn't know what it was as this is DC, it sould have been political or religious. One thing I did know is that it wasn't for me. The young man offers me one. I politely say "No Thanks" while keeping my pace.

As I'm walking he says to me "Good Luck."

I'm not one for arguments and fortunately I was running late this morning. I didn't have time to ask. So I'll ask now. Good luck? WTF?? Do I need some purported luck because I have not accepted your leaflet? Is my life doomed because I did not accept your flyer? Am I missing out on Milk and Cookies? Why not "have a nice day" or "God bless you" or just plain silence? I actually would have preferred silence.

You know what that really means: the volume on my iPod was too low. Anyway, that's my rant. That's my morning. I'm done bitching (for now).

4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Hmmmmm...I see your HUMP DAY is off to one HELL of a start.

Well it's WHY Wednesday and I'm sure you will come up with a nice list.

Although I'm thinking when he said "Good Luck" you should have just said "Good Day" as you need to realize that you are already lucky...

Lucky to have a job!
Lucky to have a car!
Lucky to have a FOXY Brother who buys you and i-pod! (your welcome)
Lucky to have legs to just walk away......How 'bout that!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger MsPerdie said...

I agree with Foxy! Good luck that you didn't take that pamphlet and let Satan into your life. We don't need to be coming down there to do no exorcisms... LOL!!! OK, maybe that wasn't that funny.. but for real... thank GOD you didn't take that pamphlet... Soldiers of Satan???? NO THANK YOU!!!!

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you just read a little too much into this!
It might be that the kid didn't mean anything when he said goodluck! But eitherway, don't bother yourself about it, it seems you are lucky enough already! And yeah enjoy that Ipod, turn it up a notch!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Red said...

Yeah...I know. I was grumpy and he tossed a flyer at me before I got my coffee (and my mid morning nap).

Thanks for keeping me levelheaded folks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home