Tuesday, August 09, 2005

You know you're getting older when....

...reality sets in.

Yesterday and today I did something I haven't done in a long time: Took the train to work.

As a New Yorker I used to commute on the Subway all the time. I loved it! All the different people, crowding, the arguments, the noise, My music, bad subway manners, the grime and smell of the stations, new trains, hot sweaty stations, broken PA system...it all just felt so real.

Since relocating to the Washington DC area things have changed. I now drive to work everyday. Even in traffic I feel like I have more control of my surroundings. My car, My CDs, My radio, My air conditioning...it is sometimes a moment when I can reflect and just be at peace.

Long story short: I arrived at work dripping sweat because taking the train and walking 4 blocks to the office is not at easy as it used to be.

It was a gentle (and icky) reminder that I'm not as energetic as I used to be. Maybe it's a reminder that I sometimes need to slow down. Maybe I need to go to the gym.

City life. You gotta love it.....

7 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger MsPerdie said...

LOL!!!! Red, are you getting old? Nah, not you.. it's all in the mind, baby! All in the mind....

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

I thought you were getting older when you started falling asleep in the clubs???
My bad!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Icylyrics said...

Now, don't consider yourself old until you start forgetting where you parked your car, then having it occur to you that you took the train. Trust me, I've been there too.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger ClayStarr said...

If you go to the gym can you meet a hot man for me?

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Red said...

The gym? What is this place with hotties?

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I hear ya. Despite the fact that the metro is clean and usually cool. Driving to work spoils you. I did it the other day too and I knew I couldn't do the metro shuffle anymore. Wait, does that mean I'm getting old too?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Red said...

I won't tell if you don't!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home