Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Nod

I was on my way to the train and came across a brother who appeared to be in his late 60's going for a walk. I found this strange because I rarely see any people of color in my neighborhood. I said "Good morning."

"Hey there young Fella!" he replied. And I felt good. Waaaay deep down in my soul I felt like he put out a welcome mat.

When I arrive in the city, I see lots of brothers. More often than not, if there is eye contact, there is The Nod. It is the ubiquitous "what's up" nod we give each other. I don't know how old I was when I realized I knew this...or when I realized it's power. As I grow older I wonder if it is considered 'old school.' If it is old school then so am I.

Damn proud of it.

I've seen it in cities across the country. North, South, West...I went to Europe and didn't see it. I felt strange without it. I guess they don't have it because our struggle was not their struggle. That's when I realied what The Nod is.

Recognition. Unspoken brotherhood. "I see you, you exist and have meaning and value and worth." We are one and go through the same struggle.

So this is a shout out to The Nod.

7 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Ok so..I'm wondering if "The Nod" is just a black thing because the day I met "Lucky" he was across the room and I definitely gave him "The Nod" and he responded with "The Nod" and a few days later we were doing everything BUT "Nodding" Oh well...I think I "NOD" at everyone but that's me trying to shake the world up...

Happy "Nodding"

Ciao!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger MsPerdie said...

Her's to you and your nod....

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Happy Holidays!!

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

604 says YEAH!!! No Nodding over here!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Ok so I'm no longer nodding I'm napping as I have officially gone to sleep in Da Red Room....

Thank you and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger lj said...

Never thought of it like that

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Ddot the King said...

Yeah with the nod you you're saying "what's up, how you doing, and I'm fine" all at the same time. Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home